With Christmas and the New Year around the corner, the kitchen can be a fun, however dangerous place to be. Here are some tips to prevent any mishaps between cooking, parties, and craziness.
1) Make sure all wires, cords, and plugs on your appliances are not frayed and that the plugs have 3-prong grounded connections. This would include coffee makers, toasters, blenders, microwaves, mixers, etc.
2) Don’t leave the kitchen with pots & pans cooking on the stove. Make sure to turn off burners as soon as you take the pot off.
3) Avoid wearing inappropriate clothing while cooking. That means loose sleeves and sweaters.
4) Keep dish towels, pot holders and oven mitts away from the stove.
5) Keep a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen, but not near the stove or the heater. HOWEVER: In case of a grease fire, salt and/or baking soda will help if you do not have a fire extinguisher.
6) Handling Knives: – Always cut away from your body when using a knife. – Always use a cutting board, – Protect your counter tops, – Keep blades sharp. – Don’t put knives in a sink of soapy water – they may not be seen when going to wash. – Wash and dry carefully keeping sharp edge away from your hands. – Always lay them flat, never on the back or edge. – Don’t attempt to catch a knife as it falls__ better it hits the floor than cut your hand.
7) Keep the kitchen floor clear or toys and other items.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all of us here at Solar Refrigeration & Appliance Service.