As convenient as refrigerator ice and water dispensers can be, they’re likely a source of frustration when a malfunction occurs. Why is my Maytag refrigerator not dispensing water or ice? A kinked or frozen water line may be restricting water flow. Learn the most common reasons for refrigerator dispenser issues and how to resolve them.
What to Do For a Maytag Refrigerator Not Dispensing Water or Ice
How do you fix a Maytag refrigerator not dispensing water or ice? Sometimes a simple adjustment can restore function while other instances call for a professional repair. Here’s how to determine what’s wrong and return to water and ice on demand.
Dispenser Lock Feature Is On
The dispenser lock feature locks all dispenser functions so a Maytag refrigerator won’t dispense water or ice accidentally. When the lock feature is engaged, a lock symbol is illuminated on the dispenser’s display panel. If you attempt to use the dispenser while the lock feature is on, CONTROL LOCKED may also flash across the display.
To disengage the dispenser lock feature, press and hold the TO LOCK button for 3 seconds. An unlocked symbol will appear on the display, indicating that the feature is disabled.
Water Filter Needs to Be Replaced
Maytag refrigerator water filter problems are a common source of dispenser issues. Water from your home’s water supply flows through the filter to remove contaminants before supplying the ice and water dispenser.
The following filter problems can prevent proper dispenser function:
- Filter is due for a change: Over time, filters can become clogged with contaminants. When this happens, water flow to the dispenser can be restricted or refrigerator water and ice taste bad. Maytag recommends changing the filter every 6 months, or when the indicator light is illuminated, to prevent these outcomes.
- Incorrect installation: A filter that’s incorrectly installed can also restrict water flow or cause leaks around the dispenser. Consult your Maytag user manual’s installation instructions to make sure the filter is installed properly.
- Using an alternative filter brand: Maytag recommends replacing the original filter with an OEM brand. Using an alternative brand filter can result in an improper fit that restricts water flow.
Water Inlet Issues
Dispensed water originates from your home’s water supply via the refrigerator’s water line. A variety of issues can restrict the water supply, resulting in a Maytag refrigerator water dispenser not working properly.
These water inlet issues can affect dispenser function:
- Kinked or frozen water line: If the refrigerator water line develops a kink, water from your home supply won’t reach the dispenser. While some kinks can be straightened to restore water flow, a damaged water line requires replacement. Ice that accumulates in the line can also restrict water flow. Aiming a hairdryer at the water line can melt the ice, allowing water to flow to the dispenser.
- Low water pressure: Without adequate water pressure, the refrigerator won’t make ice properly, resulting in misshapen cubes. Make sure your home’s water pressure is between 30-120 psi for proper water and ice production.
- Defective water inlet valve: The refrigerator’s water inlet valve opens and closes, allowing water from your home’s supply to flow to the dispenser and ice maker. If the valve malfunctions, it can remain closed, restricting the flow of water. A professional repair service should assess the valve for damage and continuity to determine if a replacement is necessary.
Broken Door Switch
The door switch turns off the dispenser if the refrigerator door is open. However, if the switch is broken, you’ll notice your Maytag refrigerator not dispensing water or ice even if the door is closed. If the door switch shows a lack of continuity with multimeter testing, it’s likely broken and requires replacement.
Defective Dispenser Switch
If you find your Maytag refrigerator water and ice dispenser not working after the above troubleshooting tips, a dispenser switch may be defective. When a dispenser button is pushed, the corresponding switch sends voltage to the dispenser to produce water or ice. If one of these switches is defective, push-button commands won’t activate and water or ice won’t dispense.
A professional refrigerator repair service can test the dispenser switch with a multimeter and replace it if it shows a lack of continuity.
The experts at Solar Appliance can fix a Maytag refrigerator not dispensing water or ice or any refrigeration malfunction. Schedule your professional repair today!